Industry Report May 2023
Hot off the press is another Special Events report. Summarizing the following main points you need to know. Understand that this report is released by AAE Speakers Bureau. As you read information regarding fees, keep this in mind.
Most requested topics:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion (56 percent)
- Leadership and motivation (56 percent)
- Mental health and mindset (44 percent)
- Future of work (30 percent)
- Corporate culture (28 percent)
- Technology (21 percent)
Quoting directly from the report. “Commenting on the top interests, Best (Jennifer Best of AAE) said themes of race, gender, disabilities, neurodiversity, and embracing inclusivity all fall under DEI, and are ‘very, very popular this year.’ Also, the strong interest in mental health topics wasn’t a surprise ‘as we come out of a pandemic and there are a lot of job layoffs, especially in the tech sector.’ Those presentations can focus on a range of topics, from anxiety and depression to addiction and suicide prevention.”
Note: This report is based on responses from 368 event professionals—largely corporate (37 percent) and university (31 percent) planners—as well as 145 speakers.
Budgeting for speakers as reported to this bureau:
- The average speaker fee is $15,551 for in-person events.
- For speakers with more than 10 years of experience, the average fee is $16,659.
- For virtual events, 80% of speakers commanded a fee of less than $10,000.
- No surprise – A majority of speakers expect the organizer to cover the cost of their hotel, air travel, and ground transfers. However, only 12% include those costs in their speaking fee. So, all-inclusive fees are used by a minority who work with this bureau.
- More than half of speakers (53 percent) say their fees are increasing in 2023.
- The average event budget for hiring a keynote speaker is $26,582.88. However, 44%, almost half, said their average budget is less than $10,000. Only 10% said their budget is more than $50,000.
- Additional requests made for speakers by event organizers are meet-and-greet experiences (66%), social-media promotion (42%), and book signing (38%). I suggest you be proactive and offer these things.
The full report can be found here: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:b81e94ba-4902-3aeb-bc17-5aa886af04b3
Copyright 2023, Lois Creamer, Book More Business. Lois works with professional speakers who want to book more business, make more money, and fully monetize their message.
Sign up for my blog posts so you don’t miss any at http://www.BookMoreBusiness.com/blog.
Check out Lois’ book – Book More Business: MAKE MONEY SPEAKING as well as The Speaker Author: Sell More Books and Book More Speeches available on Amazon!